Identity and Objective of the Sustainability Innovation Lab Program
The Sustainability Innovation Lab (hereinafter “Program”) for the reduction of single-use plastics is part of a broader framework of actions related to open innovation and aims to promote disrupting technologies for sustainability, entrepreneurship and education. The lab includes a 5-month cycle of supporting the solutions and ideas highlighted at the Sustainability Hackathon, so that original ideas can be transformed into Proof of Concept (PoC) level applications.
The Sustainability Innovation Lab is carried out with the support of Lidl Hellas and the A.C. Laskaridis Charitable Foundation, in the framework of the national campaign “Greece, Free of Single-Use Plastics”, and under the auspices of the Hellenic Ministry of Environment and Energy. The Program is implemented by the innovation and digital technology company Crowdpolicy.
“Crowdpolicy” (hereinafter the “Organizer”), with the support of “Lidl Hellas”, organizes the business acceleration program “Sustainability Innovation Lab” (hereinafter the “Program”).
1.1 Every entry, proposal and action within the Program is governed by the present terms. Please read the following terms and conditions carefully before submitting your participation in the Program.
1.2 Participation in any role in the Program implies the unconditional acceptance of the present terms that govern the rights and obligations of the Participants in the Program, and their acceptance is a condition of the validity of the participation of each Participant in it.
1.3 In case of disagreement with part or all of the terms of the Program, you are invited not to participate in it.
2. Scope of the Program
2.1 The Organizer has developed a program to accelerate ideas in the field of development of information systems and/or applications for sustainability, education and entrepreneurship called “Sustainability Innovation Lab” (hereinafter “the Program”), which includes actions of maturation and promotion of innovative ideas and projects, training and mentoring teams, providing infrastructure and networking.
2.2 The goal of the Program is the maturation of ideas and digital solutions that were distinguished at the Sustainability Hackathon held on April 15-17, 2022 and their transformation into productive applications at Proof of Concept (PoC) level.
2.3 The Program is supported by resources and human resources of sponsors and supporters, private and public sector bodies as well as individuals.
2.4 The Program is aimed at students, professionals, business executives, and in general, anyone who wishes to develop their idea or methodology into a sustainable business model. The teams/startups that will participate in the Program should develop their idea in the following thematic areas:
- Information/support and business and civil society mobilization actions for sustainable development
- Digital tools for recording actions to achieve the Global Sustainable Development Goals
- Creation of a Digital Toolkit for Sustainable Development (Sustainability Tool Box)
- Data visualization for better understanding of the problem, utilization of open data
- Utilization of digital tools to achieve citizens’ access to information and decision-making processes
- Impact of the Covid19 pandemic on the circular economy
- Citizen education applications for good environmental protection practices
- Development of solutions for smart educational programs for the cyclical use of resources within companies and public bodies
- Development of experiential-education programs through digital tools
- Utilization of Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) technologies for the exchange of good practices
- Utilization of digital tools for the organization of mentoring processes among citizens, businesses and public bodies
- Creation of city lab applications on 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
- Resource reuse and waste management
- Materials, supply chain, environmental footprint of products and actions
- New Business Models
- Models for organizing local markets
- Utilization of digital tools for obtaining reliable information on creating long-term value sustainable practices in organizations for the business and investment community
- Investment models to support sustainable farming practices
* The above indicative thematic areas are co-formed in accordance with the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
2.5 The Program will provide Participants with specialized business and technological advice from experienced executives for the development of special skills, the improvement of ideas with lean development methodologies, the development of MVPs and prototypes, as well as cooperation with mentors and companies from Greece and abroad.
2.6 Through the Program, the Participants can be provided with additional resources, such as cloud services, funding opportunities, etc.
2.7 The Program is an impact (equity-free) accelerator, and therefore, the Participants are not required to provide reciprocal benefits to the Organizer and its Partners.
2.8 More information about the Program is announced on the website of the Program supfreelab.gr as well as any announcement, deadline, date or change of the present terms of participation.
3. Participation in the Program and Participants
The categories of Participants and their roles are presented below:
3.1 Organizer and Organizing Committee
- The Organizer is “Crowdpolicy Digital Participatory Services PCC”.
- The organizing committee consists of executives of the Organizer and other bodies that sponsor or support the organization of the Program.
- The members of the organizing committee are appointed by a decision of the Organizer.
- The organizing committee ensures the smooth running of the Program.
- The organizing committee coordinates the necessary actions of information and participation of all involved.
- The organizing committee sets up the other committees and announces the call to teams of participants/startups.
- The organizing committee supervises the smooth running of the Program according to the objectives.
3.2 Participating teams or project team
- Teams can ideally consist of one (1) to six (6) people. It is recommended that the members of a team have combined knowledge of interface design, design and development of web and mobile applications as well as knowledge of the subject matter of the Program, such as analysis of business applications and systems, economics, marketing and so on.
- The team is registered by submitting the application form, which is filled out by the Team Representative and by accepting the Terms and Conditions of Participation in the Program.
- The teams participate by implementing applications and functional prototypes, designs, etc., which are related to the objectives and the thematic areas of the Program.
- The teams must be present at the venue of the Program and/or participate in the joint actions according to the program.
- The teams must not participate in another business accelerator throughout the duration of the Program.
3.3 Observers – Visitors – Audience
- Anyone interested can attend the open actions of the Program following the case-by-case participation process (e.g. registration for an event etc.).
- The observers can participate in the open events – actions of the Program where presentations are made, and at the end of the process, on the Demo Day, if there is one. They can also participate in side events, if these are available.
- They do not participate in the Program process.
3.4 Evaluation Committee
- The Evaluation Committee (if any) consists of individuals with extensive professional and/or academic experience in a field related to the Program.
- The members are selected by the Organizer.
- The mentors of the competing teams are not members of the evaluation committee, but they can have an advisory role.
- The evaluation committee specifies the evaluation criteria if necessary.
- The members of the evaluation committee may not participate in the competition and the business acceleration process as beneficiaries.
- Mentors are natural persons with professional and/or academic experience in a field related to the Program.
- They provide the participants with guidance and counseling.
- The selection of mentors for the teams is made during the Program and can be modified.
- They do not participate in the competition and the business acceleration process as beneficiaries.
- The sponsors are Natural or Legal Persons who support the Program.
- They can support the program with money and in kind, consulting services or material.
- They cover expenses of the Program such as food, soft drinks, optimization of ideas – applications services etc.
- They can cover PoC implementation costs.
- They present their services to the audience of the Program.
- Their logo and status as a sponsor appear on the website of the Program, as well as in any information action of the Organizer or third parties and the media.
- They are mentioned as sponsors in press releases and any kind of information material – electronic or physical that is prepared by the organizing committee.
- The type and structure of the sponsorships in categories is formed by the organizing committee.
- They recommend, at the request of the organizing committee, mentors or members of the above committees.
- They are Legal Persons of the Public or Private sector that can support the principles and objectives of the Program. Their size and activity is related to the implementation of actions, interventions, initiatives and projects addressed to a large part of society, economic, social and business life.
- They recommend, at the request of the organizing committee, mentors or members of the above committees.
- They can express their interest electronically or by mail.
- They can have the role of “data – api provider”. That is, they provide, as far as possible, useful data sets and/or APIs, in order to support the Program.
- They support the dissemination of the Program in their networks and local or national media. They utilize and disseminate relevant information material provided through the website of the Program. The dissemination on their initiative is done via electronic means that they already have, the media as well as social networking accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter), using the hashtags of the Program.
- They are mentioned as supporters in press releases and any kind of information material, electronic or physical, prepared by the organizing committee.
- Their logo and status as a supporter appear on the website of the Program as well as in any information action of the Organizer or its third partners in the media.
- The display or option of the display of the supporters on the website and in press releases or any kind of information material that is disseminated and reproduced via electronic means, is exclusively the choice of the organizing committee.
4. Conditions for Participants – team members
- Only natural persons who are at least 18 years of age (on the start date of the Program), irrespective of their nationality or place of residence, are allowed to participate in the Program. Natural persons under 18 years of age are allowed to participate provided that they have the written consent of a parent/legal guardian (e.g. in the case of students).
- Participants are not required to hold a public or private institution degree or be students of public or private faculties associated with the theme of the Program. Natural persons of the ages mentioned above irrespective of whether they have practiced or practice a profession related to the theme of the Program are allowed to participate.
- Participants ought to read the present terms carefully before submitting the participation form. Participation in the Program implies the unconditional acceptance of all the terms by the Participants.
- Application forms and information about the hackathon will be available exclusively at supfreelab.gr, the website of the Program, or otherwise determined by the Organizing Committee.
- Participants have the sole and exclusive responsibility of safeguarding or otherwise protecting their work and the rights deriving therefrom. The entire code, the mockups, designs and everything else produced during the Program will be the property of the team. The team should ensure the distribution of copyright among its members.
- Those interested can participate in the Program in teams of up to six (6) members. At registration, the Head of the team should be declared, who will be the contact person, as well as the other members of the team. In order to declare the personal data of the team members, the Head of the team guarantees that he/she has obtained a written authorization by each of them for the purpose of the Program, which he/she shall make available to the Organizer whenever it is requested.
- The Organizer can, at any stage of the Program, request any supporting documents (ID, passport, driving license etc.) they deem necessary in order to cross-check or certify the information of the participants according to the present terms.
- In the event of submission of false information, the Organizer is not held liable and has the right to cancel the participation at any stage of the Program.
- Any document or other material that will be submitted for the purpose of the Program will not be returned.
- Any preparation costs will be undertaken solely by the Participants.
- Participants must bring their own equipment in order to participate in the Program. No equipment for the development of applications is provided by the Organizer.
5. Exclusion of Participants from the Program
5.1. Those who fall into one of the following categories will be excluded from the Program:
- Individuals under the age of 18 on the start date of the Program, without the written consent of their parent/legal guardian.
- Individuals that lack legal capacity.
5.2. In addition:
- Participation with an implementation proposal or content that violates the current legislation and the rights of third parties (including, but not limited to, the provisions on intellectual property, violation of personality rights, research with vulgar, offensive, defamatory and generally illegal content, research that violates personal data, research that violates any kind of privacy etc.) will be excluded.
- Any Natural Person who violates in any way any of the present terms or contradicts any provision of the Greek and European law will be excluded.
6. Participation in the Program and obligations
6.1 The Team agrees to participate in the Program and take part in the actions of the Program, as set out below, to suit its needs. The participation of each Team in each action of the Program is decided jointly with those in charge of the Program.
6.2 All Participants must maintain a duty of confidentiality and take all necessary measures to ensure the confidentiality of information, documents and any other relevant materials of any kind that are exchanged between them.
6.3 Participation in the Program implies an agreement and signing of the DECLARATION OF CONSENT TO THE PARTICIPATION IN PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO RECORDING AND ASSIGNMENT OF USE RIGHTS as defined by the Company Lidl Hellas, sponsor of the Program (https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0BWgSmw56qB8fY7L6Pfgn6_7G9g8VCIKMd5nCJhWo2ztI3TAtUDj8YAAaCJ_hP66FR0srxXR6x3bU/pub – each of the participants must download the form and return it signed to [email protected]).
6.4 Participants are committed to comply with the Terms and Conditions and the Participation Framework, as posted on the website, for their participation and presence as well as for the implementation of the deliverables that will be agreed with those in charge of the Program.
6.5 The Organizer reserves the right to periodically evaluate the progress of the Teams and their development within the Program.
6.6 The Team must attend the actions of the Program in the way that will be communicated by the Organizer, mainly online meetings through video conferencing tools that will be recorded/videotaped for the purposes of the Program.
6.7 In the event of non-compliance with the obligations of the Team or a third party, the Organizer may decide to terminate the cooperation in the context of the Program, informing them in the way it considers the most appropriate. In no case will the Participants or the Team have any right or claim against the Organizer due to the termination of this cooperation.
6.8 Some of the actions of the Program are the following:
- Acceleration of the team’s business plan through the Lean Startup methodology
- Preparation and utilization of Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Speeches, lectures and discussions with renowned speakers
- Provision of specialized mentoring and coaching
- Workshops with specific topics and speakers in order to promote the objectives of the Team
- Provision of cloud infrastructure services based on the terms of the supplier
- Networking with company executives
- Production of videos, photos and a feature-length documentary, with excerpts from these actions and the Teams.
6.9 Participants are committed to attending and participating in the actions of the Program.
6.10 Throughout the Program, Participants are obliged to mention the cooperation within the business acceleration program Sustainability Innovation Lab as well as the supporters of the Program, Lidl Hellas and the A.C. Laskaridis Charitable Foundation, in their announcements as much as possible (on web pages, social media, articles, interviews, presentations, advertisements, etc.), using the suggested text that follows where appropriate: “The [team] participates in the Sustainability Innovation Lab business acceleration program organized by the technology and innovation company Crowdpolicy and supported by Lidl Hellas and the A.C. Laskaridis Charitable Foundation.”. The sponsors and supporters will also have the right to mention the participation of the Team in all their corporate communications in any way and means they deem appropriate.
7. Ownership of the applications
7.1 All teams or individuals shall retain the ownership of what they are to create during the Program.
7.2 Furthermore, they are sole responsible for NOT violating any kind of third party intellectual property rights (modification, use, reproduction, etc.).
8. Personal Data and Copyright
8.1 In the framework of this Program, the Organizer may collect, as Responsible Processor, personal data of the Participants, such as identification and contact details, which are necessary for the purpose of processing and only to the extent that the Participants themselves provide them upon their registration or during their participation in the Program. The Organizer takes all the necessary measures and ensures the lawful and legal collection and processing of personal data as well as their safe storage in accordance with the provisions of the General Regulation of Personal Data 2016/679 (GDPR) and the specific regulatory framework governing its implementation, safeguarding the confidentiality of any information that comes to its knowledge.
8.2 Participants in the Program state that they have been informed about and consent to the entry of their personal data, the summary and material to be published, as well as their short CV, in a file that will be kept with them, for their processing, in accordance with the provisions of the legislative and regulatory framework on the protection of personal data, as applicable, by the Organizer and/or third parties cooperating with it for the implementation of the Program, solely for the purpose of the Program, as well as their publication on the website of the Organizer and sponsors/supporters/partners, on the website of the Program, on the social media of the Organizer and in press releases or entries in printed or electronic form. In addition, Participants, consent to the production and publication of any of their photos or video material on the website of the Organizer and sponsors/supporters/partners, on the website of the Program, on the social media of the Organizer and sponsors/supporters/partners and in press releases or entries in printed or electronic form, as well as in advertisements for the period of time required for the promotion and publication of the events and actions that take place in the context of the Program. In this case, Participants have the right to withdraw their consent at any time, without, of course, affecting the legality of the processing based on the consent before its withdrawal.
In the case of a “team participation”, the Head of the Team declares and guarantees that he/she has received written authorization from each of the team members to provide the Organizer with their explicit consent regarding the entry, processing and publication of their data for the purpose of the Program as determined above, which he/she will make available to the Organizers whenever it is requested.
8.3 The Organizer may use the personal data of the Participants to send them information material regarding the possibilities provided by the Program and/or matters related to it.
8.4 The Organizer preserves the personal character of the personal data of the Participants and does not transfer them to any third party (legal or natural person), except where this is provided by the terms of the Program or by law. Within the framework of the Program, such data may be transferred to companies cooperating with the Organizer, to the extent that this is necessary for purposes related solely to the support, execution and running of the Program.
8.5 The Organizer processes the personal data of the Participants throughout the Program and after its termination for as long as defined by the applicable legal and regulatory framework.
8.6 After verifying his/her identity, the Participant has the right to access his/her personal data, the right to request the correction of any inaccurate personal data or their completion, and, if the conditions of the regulatory framework are met, to exercise the rights of deletion, limitation of processing, data portability, opposition to their processing, as well as ensuring human intervention in automated processes. To exercise the above rights, the Participant may submit his request, using the dedicated forms, via e-mail to the Data Protection Officer of the Organizer ([email protected]).
8.7 All Participants declare that they agree to be recorded and/or photographed and/or filmed and/or incorporated into an organization material themselves and their proposals in any way by the Οrganizer during all stages of the hackathon even after its completion and grant the Οrganizer the right, free of any payment for copyright or other rights, to use, process, transmit, broadcast it through the website or any other website owned by the Organizer, sponsors, supporters, partners and/or any other means including mass-media networking and third-party websites.
8.8 All Participants declare that they agree to be recorded and/or photographed and/or filmed and/or incorporated into an organization material themselves and their proposals in any way by the Οrganizer during all stages of the hackathon even after its completion and grant the Οrganizer the right, free of any payment for copyright or other rights, to use, process, transmit, broadcast it through the website or any other website owned by the Organizer, sponsors, supporters, partners and/or any other means including mass-media networking and third-party websites.
8.9 In the event of violation of any of the participation terms and the current legislation, and in the event of violation of third-party rights whenever this is known, the Organizer may either exclude the Participant from the Program or to withdraw the decision to nominate the particular Participant as a winner and to request that they return the prize as well as restore any damage caused due to the violation of these terms either to a third party or to the Organizer itself.
9. Other terms
9.1 The Organizer is not responsible for any loss or damage to participants’ devices and equipment in general.
9.2 The Organizer is not responsible for any technical reason making it temporarily impossible to receive and register a participation or submit a participation in the system.
9.3 The Organizer reserves the right to unilaterally modify the terms of the Program, if necessary, without any prior notice to the Participants. Participants should visit the website of the Program supfreelab.gr regularly in order to be informed of any changes, as well as the latest valid version of the Terms and Conditions of the Program. Any modification cancels the previous version of Terms and Conditions.
9.4 Participation in the Program implies the unconditional acceptance of the present Terms and Conditions.
9.5 The Participation Terms and Conditions are valid from the beginning to the end of the Program, and with any extension that may be valid.
9.6 The present Terms are governed by Greek law. Any dispute arising from or in relation to the present Terms shall be resolved by the competent Courts of Athens.